Kayak Cave Trip in Lagos
Discover the famous coastline of Ponte da Piedade with our Kayak Cave Trip in Lagos. Take photos whilst paddling along the beautiful cliffs and caves of Lagos and enjoy this wonder of nature by kayak.
The Kayak Cave Trip in Lagos in brief:
- + 3 hour trip along the golden coastline of Ponte da Piedade
- enjoy + half an hour on a hidden and deserted beach
- visit the best caves and take photos from inside
- stop on a small and deserted beach for snorkeling and relaxing
- suitable for experienced paddlers, beginners and families (min 5 years old)
- qualified and experienced kayak guide
- our support boat will always follow you
- free use of our life jackets, a water proof bag of 20 litres and we provide snorkel equipment
- fully licensed and full cover insurance is included and free of charge
You can check availability and book now, or read on for more inspiration.
Enjoy Ponta da Piedade; the golden Algarve coast line
The Kayak Cave Trip in Lagos starts from “Praia da Batata”. This is name is given by fisherman when roughly 100 years ago a ship loaded with potatoes (in Portuguese “batatas”) sank and the beach (“praia”) was covered with potatoes.
On the way to the most southern point of Lagos you will see cormorants and seagulls. Whilst enjoying the views you will paddle close to some beautiful sandy beaches such as Praia dos Estudantes, Praia do Pinhal, Praia Dona Ana and Praia do Camilo.
The destination of the trip is the lighthouse which is on top of the rock formations. This is the most southern point of Lagos. Here you´ll visit caves with names as “the living room”, “the kitchen”, “the cathedral”, “birth canal”, “the beautiful art room”, “the letter box” and “the love cave”.
Practice some snorkeling
On the way back we´ll stop for half an hour on the beach of Praia Grande where we´ll get out our snorkel equipment. You will have time to discover the underwater world, see fishes and rock formations.
Returning to Praia da Batata we´ll pass by at rock formations with creative names, such as “wedding cake” and “King Kong”.
We also offer kayak trips that begin and end in the Marina of Lagos, see more here.
Paddling techniques and kayak skills are not needed
Our Kayak Cave Trip in Lagos is suitable for beginners and will also satisfy experienced paddlers due to the outstanding beauty of this rare coastline and visit to the natural caves.
The trip will start on the beach with a short safety briefing. We will talk about some basic paddling techniques, who sits in the front/rear, what to do when capsizing (happens only 1 in 100 participants!). We will update you on the role of the motor boat which is following, and how to organize ourselves in the caves. We will check that your life-jacket fits and closes well, and if you have brought enough water and sun protection with you.
We also advice when and where to take photos and how to keep your photo camera dry and safe.
After you have pushed your kayak into the water we´ll advice you how to use your paddle most efficiently, how to make a sharp turn and how to go in a straight line. This still happens in the secluded area inside the piers and in front of Praia da Batata.
You need to be able to swim and have recent swimming experience.
Snorkel from a secluded beach next to Praia Dona Ana
Praia Dona Ana is considered as one of the most beautiful beaches of Portugal. 200 metres further south we will find a similar secluded beach. The beach is a bit smaller, although it is called Praia Grande 🙂 The good thing is that it is only reachable from the sea and therefore very quiet and peaceful. This is our beach to stop on our kayak tour, and get out the snorkel gear. This beach is quiet and surrounded by rock formations. The use of our snorkel equipment is free. Book now, don´t miss this summer as we have limited spaces.
Experienced kayak guides & dedicated motor boat on every Kayak Cave Trip in Lagos
Our kayak cave trips are suitable for beginners but will also satisfy experienced paddlers due to outstanding beauty of this rare coastline and visits to the natural caves. Our multi-lingual guides are experienced kayakers who have a keen interest in the natural and cultural significance of this region. They are dedicated to provide personal attention, assuring you a safe and rewarding adventure. Every guide is multi-lingual and is up-to-date with the local weather, wave and wind conditions of Ponte Piedade.
At all times the group is accompanied by our dedicated support boat. Some times in the late afternoons the wind might pick up at a certain point near the harbor entrance. Here we can help you with a tow, but it´s fine if you wish to conquer the wind your selves. We will always stay near you, just in case you need some help.
What to bring on the Kayak Cave Trip in Lagos
All you need to bring on this 3 hour trip is your swimsuit, sun protection such as sun protector cream factor 30 or higher and/or a hat, dry clothes and something to drink. On every kayak is a 20 liter waterproof bag available, so please do bring your photo camera or smart phone!
Using our locker storage during the Kayak Cave Trip
Whilst you are in the kayak you can leave your valuables in our trailer at the meeting point on the beach. We will stay with the trailer during the Kayak Cave Trip, but in case we have to leave, the trailer will be locked up. Your belongings are available again as soon as you´ll come back on the beach after the trip. There is no charge for keeping your belongs during the kayak trip. Unfortunately we can´t take any responsibility for your belongs whilst they are stored in the trailer or elsewhere. Your belongs are not covered by any insurance policy from us.
Kayak Cave Trip in Lagos – prices and times for 2020
In the season 2020 we will run the Kayak Cave Trip until 31st October daily:
- 09h00 – 12h00
- 12h30 – 15h30
There is no extra charge for anything else, so this is all-inclusive:
- modern double Sit on Top kayak + light weight aluminium and floating paddles
- 70 N buoyancy aid/life-jacket in your size
- one water proof bag of 20 LTR per double kayak
- one kayak guide leading you safely around the most fun and beautiful places of Ponte da Piedade
- a dedicated support motor-boat following your group for assistance if needed
- all insurances, VAT, and local maritime taxes
- + 3 hour trip; we run only a limited number of trips a day and have enough time to get ready for the afternoon between them, so we are not in rush, and we won´t make the trip shorter
- + 30 minutes stop on a deserted beach with free use of our snorkel equipment and available beach gear
- an experience to remember!
Prices for a 3 hours kayak, snorkel, swim and beach experience:
- Adults 13+ years: €35 pp
- a child up to 12 years who sits in the front and is accompanied by one adult in the kayak: €25
- a small child (5 – 9 yrs) in the middle and not taller than 120cm/3ft9, must be accompanied by 2 adults, goes for free
Book with us now and join this unforgettable experience. Many people have said “it was the best day of our holiday“.